After serving as a visiting assistant professor, Omar El Housni joined the Cornell faculty as an assistant professor at Cornell Tech in Operations Research and Information Engineering, effective January 1, 2022.
His research revolves around decision-making under uncertainty where he aims to design robust and efficient algorithms for a wide range of dynamic optimization problems with applications in revenue management and matching platforms. Omar spent a few internships as a research and data scientist at Amazon and Uber where he contributed to the design and implementation of data-driven optimization models for matching and retailing platforms.
El Housni holds a bachelor’s degree in applied mathematics from École Polytechnique (France), and a Master of Science and a Ph.D. in Operations Research from Columbia University.
- Omar El Housni, Vineet Goyal and David Shmoys). "On the Power of Static Assignment Policies for Robust Facility Location Problems," To appear in Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization (IPCO2021). Journal version in preparation.
- Omar El Housni, Vineet Goyal. "On the Optimality of Affine Policies for Budgeted Uncertainty Sets," Accepted for publication in Math of Operations Research.
- Omar El Housni, Aharon Ben-Tal and Vineet Goyal. "A Tractable Approach for Designing Piecewise Affine Policies in Dynamic Robust Optimization," Math Programming, 182 (1), 57-102, 2020.
- Omar El Housni, Vineet Goyal. "Piecewise Static Policies for Two-stage Adjustable Robust Linear Optimization," Math Programming 169 (2), 649-665, 2018.
- Omar El Housni, Vineet Goyal."Beyond Worst-case: A Probabilistic Analysis of Affine Policies in Dynamic Optimization," Journal version under review. Preliminary version published as spotlight in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), 2017.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Second prize in the George Nicholson student paper competitionm 2020.
- Amazon Inventor Award, 2017.
- The Graduate Fellowship for Masters in Operations Research, Columbia University, 2016. '
- École Polytechnique Research Prize in Applied Mathematics, 2015.
- French Government’s Major-Excellence Scholarship, 2012.
B.S. (Applied Mathematics), École Polytechnique, 2015
Ph.D. (Operations Research), Columbia University, 2020