Master of Engineering Degree Requirements in ORIE
The general requirements for a Master of Engineering degree in Operations Research and Information Engineering include:
- A minimum of 30 credit hours of approved technical coursework, all taken for a letter grade, with the exception of the required colloquia, while enrolled in the M.Eng. program.
- A minimum of 19 letter-graded credit hours in approved technical engineering coursework.
- A minimum of 12 letter-graded credit hours in approved School of ORIE coursework.
- An engineering design project for 5 to 8 credits, depending on the student’s concentration, resulting in a final presentation and written report.
- An approved program of courses as outlined in the M.Eng. Student Handbook, satisfying the student’s concentration requirements. Each student is responsible for submitting a study plan of courses approved by their advisor, and carry a course load that enables them to complete the M.Eng. Program without unnecessary delay.
- Minimum semester M.Eng. GPA of 2.50, and a minimum GPA of 2.50 across all ORIE courses.
- No grade below a C- in every graded course taken.
Within this general framework, students must fulfill ORIE Core and concentration requirements. ORIE Core requirements consist of successfully completing 12 or more letter-graded credit hours among the courses listed on pages 6-8 of the ORIE MEng Handbook, including:
- 9 or more credit hours in ORIE courses;
- 3 or more credit hours at the 5000-level or above; and
- 3 or more credit hours in each of the following categories:
- Optimization Modeling
- Stochastic Modeling
- Data Science and Statistical Modeling
- NOTE: Additional course requirements may apply depending on the student’s concentration. Please refer to the M.Eng Student Handbook.
Concentration requirements are detailed in the Master of Engineering Student Handbook(PDF).