Yudong Chen joined the faculty at Cornell in August 2015 as an Assistant Professor in the School of Operations Research and Information Engineering. He received his Ph.D. from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin in 2013, and his Bachelor and Master degrees from Tsinghua University in 2008. Before coming to Cornell, he was a Postdoctoral Scholar at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences in University of California, Berkeley. His research interests include machine learning, statistical inference, optimization and networks.
Professor Chen's primary research focus is in to developing theory and algorithms for efficient analysis of large-scale data sets and networks, and to understand the fundamental limits imposed by the characteristics of the problem. He is interested in developing and analyzing statistical and machine learning algorithms that are both computationally efficient and robust to noise. He has worked on problems in high-dimensional statistics, sparse and low-rank estimation, community detection and clustering in networks, as well as applications in communication and transportation networks.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Information Theory and Communications
- Data Science
- Statistics and Machine Learning
Professor Chen teaches Statistical Principles (ORIE 6700; Fall 2015, Fall 2016) and Statistical Data Mining I (ORIE 4740; Spring 2016, Spring 2017).
- 2016."Matrix Completion With Column Manipulation: Near-Optimal Sample-Robustness-Rank Tradeoffs."IEEE Transactions on Information Theory62(1): 503-526. .
- 2016."Fast Algorithms for Robust PCA via Gradient Descent."Paper presented at Neural Information Processing Systems Conference (NIPS) .
- 2015."A Convex Optimization Framework for Bi-Clustering."Paper presented at International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML) .
- 2016."Clustering from General Pairwise Observations with Applications to Time-varying Graphs."Journal of Machine Learning Research. .
- 2015."Completing Any Low-Rank Matrix, Provably."Journal of Machine Learning Research16: 2999-3034. .
- B.E.(Automation),Tsinghua University, Department of Automation,2006
- M.Eng.(Control Science and Engineering),Tsinghua University, Department of Automation,2008
- Ph.D.(Electrical and Computer Engineering),The University of Texas at Austin,2013