Early and recent ORIE alums meet during reunion weekend.Read more about ORIE alums gather for breakfast and to look back and ahead
Professor Robert Bland received B.S. (1969), M.S. (1972) and Ph.D. (1974) degrees from Cornell University. Ph.D. student of D.R. Fulkerson, NSF Graduate Fellow. CORE Postdoctoral Fellow (1975-1977), Guest Professor European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (1976-1977), Sloan Foundation Fellow (1978-1982). Assistant Professor of Mathematical Sciences at SUNY Binghamton (1974-1978), Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Operations Research at Cornell University 1978- present.
Linear Programming, Combinatorial Optimization
Optimization, game theory, mathematics of legislative appointment
Engineering Education, Final Exam Scheduling
- 1977."New finite pivoting rules for the simplex method."Mathematics of Operations Research2(103-07). .
- 1978."Orientability of Matroids."Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series B24(1): 94-123. .
- 2010."Flows in Networks by L.R. Ford Jr. and D.R. Fulkerson".Princeton Landmarks in Mathematics and Physics Series.(pp. ix-xv)208.Princeton, New Jersey, United States:Princeton University Press. .
- 1981."The Allocation of Resources by Linear-Programming."Scientific American244(6): 126-144. .
- 2008."A unified interpretation of several combinatorial dualities."Discrete Optimization5(2): 337-349. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- James M. and Marsha D. McCormick Advising Award, Cornell Engineering, 2017
- Outstanding Educator Award (Cornell University): 1984, 2005, 2009
- Sloan Foundation Fellow(Alfred P. Sloan Foundation), 1978
- Professor of the Year Award selected by ORIE Undergarduate majors (2 times)(Cornell University, ORIE)
- B.S.(Industrial Engineering),Cornell Univeristy,1969
- M.S.(Operations Research),Cornell University,1972
- Ph.D.(Operations Research),Cornell University,1974
In the News
Dietrich, Ph.D. ’86, is an IBM Fellow and VP of Emerging Technology in IBM’s Watson GroupRead more about ORIE Ph.D. alum Brenda J. Dietrich elected to the National Academy of Science