enter text here
Fengqi You is the Roxanne E. and Michael J. Zak Professor in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and the David Croll Faculty Fellow at Cornell University. Prior to his appointment at Cornell in 2016, he was an Assistant Professor at Northwestern University (2011-2016) and an Argonne Scholar at Argonne National Laboratory (2009-2011).
Our research lies at the interface between chemical engineering and operations research. We specifically focus on the development of advanced computational models, optimization algorithms, and systems analysis tools for practically important and fundamental problems on process engineering/manufacturing, energy systems and sustainability. We seek to provide a balance between theory, computation and real world applications through our synergistic research that includes both fundamentals and applications.
At the application level, we concentrate our efforts on process, energy, and environmental systems engineering. Particular research interests lie in (1) Sustainable design and synthesis of energy systems, including biofuels processes, photovoltaics, carbon capture and separation, and shale gas, (2) Systems analysis, modeling and optimization for the water-energy nexus, (3) Sustainable manufacturing, sustainable operations (planning & scheduling) and control of advanced manufacturing systems, (4) Life cycle analysis and optimization of energy, environmental and economic systems, (5) Enterprise-wide supply chain and inventory optimization under uncertainty, and (6) Sustainability analysis of nanotechnology and advanced materials. At the fundamental level, we focus on the development of advanced mathematical, computing and systems techniques to support research in the aforementioned application areas.
Process Design Process Optimization Energy Systems Engineering and Sustainability Engineering
- 2016. "Integrating Hybrid Life Cycle Assessment with Multiobjective Optimization: A Modeling Framework." Environmental Science & Technology 50: 1501-1509. .
- 2015. "Integrated planning and scheduling under production uncertainties: Bi-level model formulation and hybrid solution method." Computers & Chemical Engineering 72: 255-272. .
- 2015. "Network-based Life Cycle Optimization of the Net Atmospheric CO2-eq Ratio (NACR) of Fuels and Chemicals Production from Biomass." ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 3: 1732-1744. .
- 2015. "Deciphering and handling uncertainty in shale gas supply chain design and optimization: Novel modeling framework and computationally efficient solution algorithm." AIChE Journal 61: 3739-3755. .
- 2015. "Perovskite Photovoltaics: Life-Cycle Assessment of Energy and Environmental Impacts." Energy & Environmental Science 8: 1953-1968. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Roxanne E. and Michael J. Zak Professorship (Cornell University) 2016
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award 2016
- David Croll Sesquicentennial Faculty Fellowship (Cornell University) 2016
- Northwestern-Argonne Early Career Investigator Award for Energy Research 2013
- W. David Smith Jr. Publication Award (CAST Division, AIChE) 2011